Before I get to my point, I would like for everyone to know some of the comments I get.
- “It’s like grandma/parent writing!” – bringing up discussions on the possibilities of forgery (all of which I decided not to participate in). Hey, you get 12 years for forgery here.
- “It’s really pretty... I just can’t read it.”
- “Most people who write in handwriting either have very bubbly writing or it’s so sloppy. Lauren, yours was the only one I had trouble with” – I guess that means it’s sloppy.
- “What does this say? Hair ties?” – it wasn’t even close to hair ties.
- “Is that English?” – fair enough... it could have been French... it wasn’t... but it could have been.
- “Wow! That is the smallest writing I’ve ever seen!”
- “Your writing is just chicken scratch.”
- “Is that a 3 or what?” – it was a Z... have you ever seen a word like 3ero? God...
- “Can I get those notes off you later? My head is just too sore to try to read your writing right now.”
- “Are those S’s or Gs? Hahaha! Pissy...” – from a note taking demonstration at my placement. It was supposed to say Piggy (from Lord of the Flies.)
I’m not going to lie, I kind of like that no one can read what I write (profs excluded). Most of the time it spares me having to share my notes with slackers who just don’t feel like coming to class. And I don’t have to look like a bitch for saying no. Because I’ve done that and people get really irritated for some reason. Not that I particularly care, I take pleasure in their failure. Yes, that’s also wrong, but I don’t appreciate being used. It annoys me.
Anyway, it’s exam season so I have to go over my notes in order to study. Ugh... some days were really bad. On average this is what my notes look like. This is for Holocaust history. There are some words I can’t quite make out but I can usually figure them out when I keep reading. He talks fast okay? I don’t have time to make it neat.
And then there are classes in which I develop a new norm... This is from fascism. Can you tell where I started falling asleep? Yeah, that was a pain in the ass to try and study. I really must avoid being at school 12 hours in one day next year. (The first lines are actually straight... my book was bent. The last few lines definitely are not straight.)
I suppose I understand where everyone is coming from. It’s not great. But for the most part, I’m only writing for me or I’m rushed. And my writing is exponentially better than my fathers. At least you can make out actual recognized letters in my signature. My dad’s has a weird looking C with a swirly hoop thing that’s supposed to be an R and a bump that levels out into a straight line. No freaking letters. Three names, one squiggle. So... while my writing is bad, it could be worse? I’m hating it now if that makes anyone feel better.